Monday, January 27, 2014

The Importance of Writing Breaks #MFRWorg

As writers we often get so wrapped up in each aspect from getting the novel or short story written out, to each revision, to marketing and publishing the completed work. I know for myself it's hard to stop mid scene when the juices are flowing like a river.

But, it's important to remember to nourish our bodies between writing. So, take frequent breaks to stretch your legs with a brisk walk, or get some water, or a sandwich and a salad. Don't overwork yourself to the point where you forget the basics like drinking enough water, eating regular meals, and daily exercise.

If you're like me, you can get so wrapped up in creating characters and worlds and circumstances, that you have to remind yourself with a little sticky note to get up and walk, or go eat. Also, don't neglect your relationships be it with your children, your spouse, or family and friends.

The writing isn't going anywhere. I promise it'll be waiting for you when you return. Frequent breaks while writing can be a useful tool. First your brain gets room to breath and your imagination gets to contemplate what to do next. I've hit some golden ideas during these breaks. And like most writers I've asked, I'll quickly jot down notes of the idea and restart my break.

Before my breaks and even at the end of the day, I jot down a quick note in bold red on my current MS about where I want to go next. Even for a quick moment when I'm pulled away, either for the kids or something, I'll scribble a super quick note of where I want to go next, so I don't lose the thought.

Now, if a kid is bleeding or something, I'll immediately switch to mama-mode and take care of the wound or whatever the emergency is. But, most times when I'm writing I have an aura of "do not enter or approach unless it's an emergency." It's automatic for me and my family has finally learned to respect that.

Readers sound off: What tricks do you use to keep from losing your train of thought for the next move in your stories? How often do you take breaks while writing? Do you remember to eat and stay hydrated? Do your health and relationships suffer because you got to wrapped up in the moment?

Life will always knock you down. Learn to roll with the punches and get back up. Then go again.
___________________________________________________
Catrina Barton is a real go-getter, who in 2006 turned her avid reading addiction since three, into a vigorous passion for writing. Especially New Adult Romances. Drawing on her knowledge as a Kung-Fu Instructor she makes her fight scenes both realistic and action packed.
When not indulging her fertile imagination to craft stories for your reading pleasures she enjoys hiking with her family and amateur belly dancing. 
Proud member of many writing and marketing groups. An active participant at Critique Circle and several other crit groups. Her love of writing and her family rival her exhilaration from helping fellow writers. That's why she created her blog: Kitty's Inner Thoughts.
Fave Personal Quote:
"An author cannot grow without both constructive criticism and encouragement."

Kitty's Links:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Amazon  |  Goodreads  |  Pinterest  |  LinkedIn  |  Google +

No comments:

Post a Comment