Wednesday, October 22, 2014

#MFRWauthor shares her #NaNoWriMo Experience @RitaBayAuthor




I’ll keep this short because I’m already gearing up for NaNoWriMo—National Novel Writing Month. Every year in November, hundreds of thousands of writers—more than 645,000 in 2013—unite to write. Starting at midnight on November 1st, participants write feverishly until midnight on December 1st to churn out those fifty thousand words in thirty days.

I can’t recommend NaNo enough as a writing tool to get started and keep going. There’s a built-in support system of staff, famous guest author cheerleaders, and writer friends you’ve signed up with or found online. For writers near one of the participating communities, there are kick-off parties and write-ins throughout the month. Cost? Nothing, unless the writer makes a tax-deductible donation to NaNo. (I always donate because I don’t expect something for nothing AND I get a cute little crown on my author page.)

Participants create their own author pages with bios, buddies, blurbs, and word-count tracking. I also record my word count in an Excel spreadsheet to track how many words I have left to write for the day and how far ahead (or behind) I am for my November goal. My NaNoWriMo spreadsheet for 2014 version is available from my website (ritabay.com) on the Freebie page under Author Freebies.

I’ve participated in NaNo since 2009, though as Rita Bay since 2012 when I was first published and
switched to my pen name. As a compulsive edit-as-I-write author, fifty thousand words is a difficult challenge but doable.

In October I schedule my November webpage blogs, write and submit my guest posts, and put my house in order, including a bit of cook and freeze.

Although I’ve only met the 50,000 word goal twice, I’ve ended the month with a published book every year. My NaNo pubbed books include:
  • His Desire (NaNoWriMo, 2009), a Regency Historical from Siren BookStrand (2012)
  • Into the Lyon's Den (2010), a Shapeshifter Romance, Champagne Books (2012)
  • Finding Eve (2011), the sequel to Into the Lyons' Den, Champagne (2013)
  • Search & Rescue (2012), a Contemporary Military Romance, Secret Cravings (2013)
  • Duchess in Waiting (2013), a Regency Historical, Siren Publishing (2014)
Since I plan to complete two historical novellas this year, my goal is about 60,000 words. If you’re considering signing up for NaNo this year, check out this link: http://nanowrimo.org/about. If you join, I’d love some more buddies at Rita Bay.

Rita’s Bio
Rita Bay happily writes sizzling contemporary stories (Secret Cravings & Liquid Silver Books), historical romance sagas (Siren & BookStrand), shapeshifter and vampire tales, and humorous mythology-based erotic romps (Champagne Book Group). Her stories are set near her home in Atlanta, along the Gulf Coast, and in picturesque locales across Europe. Her webpage/blog (http://ritabay.com) offers more info about Rita and her stories, as well as risqué, macabre, and extraordinary posts about the history and culture of Western Europe and the United States.


RITA BAY’S LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment